Study in Italy

Italy has played an important role in European higher education: it is one of the four countries that first engaged to create the so-called “European Area of Higher Education” (Sorbonne Declaration, May 1998), thus starting that type of higher education reform which, known as “Bologna Process” (Bologna Declaration, June 1999) is being implemented all over Europe.

Today Italy ranks among the 8 most industrialised countries in the world. Alongside some big companies, both state-owned and private, it has developed a sound network of small and medium-sized undertakings, promoted a few scientific parks, and is incentivating basic and applied research in a great variety of fields (biology, ICT, medicine, physics, etc.).

Living expense in Italy

Prices can vary considerably depending on where you live. All the tourist areas and the main cities, especially in the North of Italy are more expensive than smaller towns.

The approximate prices of some items are listed below (in euros):

Milk: 1.20 / Litre
Bread: 3.50 / Kilo
Butter: 1.70 / 250 gr.
Beef: 9.00 / 19.00 / Kilo
Chicken: 8.00 / 10.00 /Kilo
Rice: 1.70 / 2.50 / Kilo
Pasta: 0.80 / 1.20 /Kilo
Mineral water: 0.50 / 0.80 /Litre
Cinema: 7.50
Fast food menu: 5.50
Train ticket Milan – Rome 38.00 (Intercity train), 47.00 (Eurostar train) / one way
Rome and Milan underground ticket: 1.00 (1 journey)

Considering accommodation, food, telephone, local travel and leisure costs, students should consider a monthly budget of 1000 / 1500 euros depending on the location.

After study options in Italy

For all non-Eu students in order to work in Italy, firstly an employer has to sponsor for work permit. Along with the offer letter, all necessary documents has to be attached to file work permit.

Italy student visa guidelines

If you are from a non-EU country: You will probably need a student visa to study in Italy. For more details, contact the Italian embassy or consulate in your country and your desired university to inform yourself about the details on how to obtain your student visa.

Please note that visa requirements are not the only thing you need to think about. Anyone who wishes to study abroad in Italy, even if they are from the EU, need to have a residence permit. EU students have to apply for a residence permit within 3 months of arrival. For students outside EU, the conditions of your stay will be handled through your student visa.

All students will need to present details of accommodation, proof of financial stability and a comprehensive health insurance policy. For these reasons, it’s highly advisable to seek accommodation as soon as you’re accepted by an Italian university.

Another thing to keep in mind is your language proficiency. You need a high competency in Italian if your course and programmes are taught and delivered in Italian. You may need to complete a language test or show evidence of language proficiency.

University in Italy

Politecnico Di milano university
University of Pisa
Instituto superiore di design
Domus Academy
Florence design academy